Tuesday, February 9, 2010

compare and contrast....

As a mother you know you should not compare your children. You know that each child is different and special in their own way. But, lets face facts, sometimes we just can't help ourselves!

My beautiful, loving, 'middle' daughter is cute as a button, but has a bit of a speech delay. Through testing, and a few to many doctors appointments, it was decided that her umbilical cord that was wrapped tightly around her neck at birth cut off oxygen to that part of her brain, causing the delay in her speech. Now, this causes much 'mothers guilt', I know there was no way I could have stopped this from happening, it's just one of those things, but, yes, it still causes it.

So, back to the story.....my youngest daughter started to babble, then say words and then sentences. I was not sure if she was advanced for her age, I had lost touch with what 'normal' is, but this last week when she said plain as day..

"But Mommy, I need the sun screen!"

It hit me that compared to the middle daughter, she was way advanced. You see she had pulled this stick of sun screen out of my closet where it had been packed away since last summer.....how can a two year old remember what sun screen looks like let alone remember how to say it.

Well, rest assured I am not calling Mensa any time soon, or at all for that matter, who knows our middle daughter could just be a genius in the making!

compared and contrasted

2 comments:

Cara said...

LOL! Oh my gosh, but I can just hear these words later in middle K's life..."it's not my fault, I had an umbilical cord wrapped around me" taking over the common phrase, "I was dropped on my head as a baby." You know I'm laughing with you.

jc said...

Inhale, exhale, let the guilt go. K3'll be fine.
Did K4 proceed to tell you why she needed the sunscreen? It is winter after all. Maybe she wanted to eat it? or is she done with that phase.