Thursday, May 8, 2008

Not my princess....


On the radio this morning, the DJ said that moms, if they were paid, would earn over eight hundred thousand dollars. WOW! He continued to go over all of our "Mom jobs", I laughed over some and thought of a few missed ones, poop cleaner upper, snotty nose wiper, just to name a few....


Aw, but what a great moment it was, not the news of what I was worth, but the fact that I was in my car, it was quiet and I was listening to the radio, not Dora the Explorer! Oh, it was wonderful, magnificent, a dream come true......well almost. When you factor in that it was 6:00 am and I was running to the store in my PJ's to get fresh flowers for Kayla's teacher (it's teacher appreciation week at school) and pastries for my Bible Study because I ran out of time and energy to make anything the night before, so we will leave it as wonderful.


Now fast forward a few hours to 9:00 am and I am packing up to head out to Bible Study, I get out my favorite Sage Green Longerberger Tray for my fresh (store bought) pastries to go on and my little two year old princess, Kami, comes to help. Scratch that, my little menace, come to help by pulling my favorite Sage Green Longerberger Tray on to the floor and giggled as it shattered into many, many pieces. I should post that I gave her a pat on the head and said "accidents happen dear, run along while I clean up." Oh, but that is not what happened at all! I let out a big "KAMRYN MARY LEE WEEKS!" followed by "what did you do?", like, I need to ask. Since I raised my voice, the tears were flying, her cries were matching my yells, so I finished with a big, "go to your room".
I proceeded to sweep-up my favorite Sage Green Longerberger Tray, and throw all the little pieces away. A tear trickled down my cheek and I developed a lump in my throat and a pit in my stomach. No, not for the beloved tray, but for my daughter, in her eyes that tray was more important to me than her. So, I scooped my little Kami into my arms and apologized for yelling, a kiss and a hug and she was back to her happy little self. But it was a reminder to me, trays can be replaced, a child's spirit can not.

No comments: