Saturday, January 24, 2009

Kade, the runaway...

What Mom would chase after her son, who is running away from home, with a camera just to document the occasion...ME!

My handsome five-year-old son came crawling in to my lap late this afternoon with tear stained cheeks, "Kami kicked me in my tummy" he said. Yes, Kami is the wild one.

"Is your little sister beating you up again" I responded with a smile.

"Can we adopt her" he asked.

"You mean send her away?"

"YES!"

"No" I said "she needs to live here with her family, family stays together."

"Then can I be adopted?"

"You want to go live somewhere else?"

"Yes, I don't like my life."

"Why?"

"I don't know......"

Ok, now my son is sounding like my "tween" aged daughter, hmmmmm. I have a feeling that he is testing, so I decide to go with it.

"Well, honey,I want you to stay here with your family" I tell him. "We love you."

"I want to leave and live somewhere else."

"Where?"

"I don't know, I have a lot of choices, I am going to pack my stuff."

"Ok."

And off he goes packing up his back pack with all of his idea of necessary items, that include two pairs of PJs several short sleeved t-shirts and two pairs of shorts! Might I add that is around 36 degrees out! As soon as his bag is packed he asks for a hug and kiss from me and out the door he goes. I watch from the window as I put my shoes on, then I follow him silently down the road. After a while, I ask him if he knows where he will be staying tonight.

"I don't know yet."

"Well, it's getting cold and dark, why don't you come back home."

"I don't know."

We continue down the road that oddly enough loops back to our house.....

"We are almost home Kade, would you like to stay here tonight?"

"Sure."

Back to are bright, warm house we arrive, unpack and have a nice dinner. I think Kade learned a good lesson, now matter were he goes, or what he does, his Mom will always be there for him.







2 comments:

Tina Kelley said...

OMG!! I have to give the boy credit though.. At least he packed clothes and not just toys!

What a great thing you did for him by just following at a distance. He will definitely remember that for a long time!

jc said...

Well played.