Thursday, January 22, 2009

Today's science lesson is.....

It's been a while since I have sat in science class, I did enjoy biology, but chemistry, well all those upper and lower case letters with the numbers dangling off of them, well that has long been wiped from my memory. Now a days my science is trying to figure out what my child ate that turned her poop green, orange or blue (yes, we have had blue poo) So, when I saw this in the sky the other day, I tried to scrape all the left over brain cells to see if I knew what it was...I am talking about the small "rainbow" on the right side of the photo. There was a matching one to the left of the sun also, in a perfectly straight line.

Well, ever lacking in the "little gray cell" department, I email the photo to our local weather man who kindly email me back (in record fast time I might add) and told me they were sundogs.

Sundogs, sometimes called Parhelia or Mock Suns, are with the 22 degree halo, the most frequent of the ice halos. They are most easily seen when the sun is low. Look about 22° to its left and right and at the same height. When the sun is higher they are further away. Each 'dog' is red coloured towards the sun and sometimes has greens and blues beyond. Sundogs can be blindingly bright, at other times they are a mere coloured smudge on the sky. They are visible all over the world and at any time of year regardless of the ground level temperature. In Europe and North America one will be seen on average twice a week if searched for.

So, that concludes our class for the day and best of all, no homework! :)

No comments: